Re: [g-a-devel] Speech-dispatcher/orca integration specification, first draft.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:12:28AM EST, Willem van der Walt wrote:
> Hi Luke,
> Thanks for offering to do this.
> In general, as I read, I felt that "yes, these are the right things to
> do".
> There is one point where i am not quite clear on the intention:
> Your document says:
>
> Speech-dispatcher should then be able to request punctuation information
> from the  speech synthesizer driver in use, and make a decision based on
> what the speech synthesizer can do and handle in terms of punctuation.
>
> You later refer to the need for drivers to be written for
> the synthesizers currently handled by the generic module.
> I do agree, but also want to ask for the retention of the generic module.
> Not only has it saved my life in the past, but also allow for a lot of
> flexibility when one is working with half-developed synthesizers.
> As this is something I often do, this is important to me.
> As you know, espeak saw its first use through speech-dispatcher's generic
> module, and I
> think as a result got more testing and exposure than it would have gotten
> if a driver first had to be written.
> Telling the generic module of SD to report on behalf of the generic
> synthesizer about the punctuation behavior should be easy through some
> options in the module-specific config file, but other behavior might pose
> problems, making dropping the generic module tempting.
> May be, you could add one sentence to make the intention clearer in this
> regard.

The sd_generic module will never go away. It is very useful for the exact reasons you state, and allows someone to quickly get a speech synthesizer working that has a command-line utility etc. With the move to speech-dispatcher, I dare sayt eh proprietary synthesizers will have to be used in this way, till proper drivers are written.

As for the punctuation points, I'll re-read and attempt to clarify what I mean, thanks for the pointer.

> My second point, not quite so dear to my hart, concerns a special driver
> for supporting the proprietary SAPI5 synthesizers.
> I am aware that here might be both technical and legal issues, but
> mention the driver since you are having a hard look at SD and I think
> having a driver like that can be very useful in some circumstances.

I am wellaware of this development. Since this uses wine, and so far as I know not all distributions ship wine by default, this will have to be an optional install somehow. When the driver is in a more usable state, I'll have a look at it, and see how the pieces fit together. This will likely be very easy however, since I want to allow drivers to be built outside the speech-dispatcher source tree.

Luke