Re: [g-a-devel] [gdm-list] What's the Status of Audio in GDM?

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 15:52 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 14:34 -0500, George Kraft wrote:
>

> > Perhaps someone could start a wiki at
> http://live.gnome.org/GAP/gestures
> > and create three columns of what to start which which gestures.  For
> > example:

> > Action               GNOME      GDM*     KDE
> > gnome-at-visual
> > gnome-at-mobility
> > *global settings for user GDM.
> >

> While discussing this, let me reiterate that I find this abstract
> classification (visual/mobility) entirely unhelpful.

The details for visual/mobility are set by Preferred Applications
with /usr/bin/gnome-default-applications-properties.  The visually
impaired user can set the screen reader, magnifier, etc, and for
mobility the user can set GOK, dasher, etc.  This way it is not hard
coded by gdm or gnome-session.  Please see the design wiki for
PreferredApplications.

http://live.gnome.org/GAP/ScratchPad/PreferredApplications

> Assume the old gdm supported three shortcuts, say C-M for magnifier,
> C-S
> for screenreader and C-K for onscreen keyboard, which of the two get
> mapped to visual+mobility, and which tool looses out ?

By default the user's gdm's gconf preferred applications setting for
Visual AT should be set to a screen reader with magnification.  During
the first login after an install, then the owner can set the preference
for user gdm to the exact Visual AT that is preferred by the primary
user.

These new hooks moves AT preference settings from GDM hardcoding
in /etc/gdm/modules/AccessKeyMouseEvents/ to gconf
with /desktop/gnome/applications/at/visual/exec

http://live.gnome.org/LSR/AccessibleLogin

These new hooks also moves AT preference settings from gnome-session
hardcoding which AT are available to a list in
gnome-default-applications.xml

I had a larger category set than visual and mobility; however, it was
suggested by some folks with more accessibility experience than myself
that I reduce it to what is currently implemented.

I believe the question is what common visual and mobility gestures can
be shared between GDM, GNOME, and KDE.

--
George (gk4)