Re: [g-a-devel] Overview of DBus ATSPI design

Hi Rob,

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 17:14 +0000, Rob Taylor wrote:
> In preparation for the accessibility conf call tomorrow, here's an
> overview of how we currently see DBus-ATSPI coming together:

	I like it, and it seems to cohere satisfyingly.

>  monitoring X events and sending DeviceEventListener events.
..
> A process will still be required to monitor and forward device events to
> the message bus. The D-Bus bus daemon could be modified to perform this
> task, but it is just as easy to use a separate process. The use of a
> separate process will mean the D-Bus session bus can be used. This is
> already present in all distributions using D-Bus, making acceptance easier.

	Interesting - so we would integrate a11y (in some way) into the dbus
session bus: it sounds nice architecturally - though it would be
interesting to see if any of the synchronous X calls that we need to
make to synthesise key-presses etc. are sufficiently slow enough to hurt
performance of event processing [ or is the session bus threaded ? ].
Also, I imagine this could be pluggable such that conceptually related
a11y code could be released and developed on it's own schedule in
parallel with d-bus ?

> Ideas are appreciated for how to approach this. One possibility maybe a
> separate 'interface' in the IPC mechanism for navigating within large
> documents which may be only partially laid-out.

	I'm a fan for sure :-) I guess in the absence of any concrete
requirements here we should get some code pointers into the ATs for any
OpenOffice/Firefox/gtkhtml/etc. specific screen reading pieces: I'd love
to know eg. how OO.o is handled in this regard currently, eg. for a
simple document reader.

 michael meeks novell com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot