Re: [g-a-devel] speech recognition and accessibility

Hey All:

Just a couple comments...

I believe Speech2Text is using the Julius
(http://julius.sourceforge.jp/en_index.php?q=en/index.html) engine,
which seems to be a decent system geared towards dictation tasks.

An interesting and related project is VoxForge
(http://www.voxforge.org/), which is a system for gathering training
data and making it available for people to train acoustic models.  IMO,
this kind of work is part of what is dearly needed to help open source
speech recognition work.  Cleaning up the data, transcribing it, and
then building acoustic models from it is another thing... :-)

Nowadays, I happen to lead the Orca project.  In a recent past life,
however, I led the development of the Sphinx-4 speech recognition
system, which is still under development by some of the original members
of the team.  I also was the Principal Investigator for Speech in Sun
Labs for several years, doing work both on understanding the user aspect
of speech systems as well as the technical side of speech engines
themselves.  I'd be happy to engage you in a discussion about various
approaches to this problem.

Will