Re: [g-a-devel] How to know where the text caret is

On 6/6/07, Peter Korn <Peter Korn sun com> wrote:
Hi Kristian,

You can do this directly by listening for caret events (I'll leave it to
others to point you to specific lines of code in Gnopernicus, Orca, or
LSR that do this).  But may I suggest a different approach?

Screen readers like Orca do a lot more than just track the caret.  They
track focus, they track selected items in menus and cells in tables.
With features like flat review, they will even walk through the screen
(without generating any events) to read what is there a letter/word/line
at a time.

May I suggest you either: (a) implement the gnome-mag API such that a
screen reader can drive the magnifier directly; or (b) explore a new,
non-CORBA API for communication between the Zoom plugin and assistive
technologies in order to have an AT drive the Zoom plugin?

I'm not familiar enough with gnome-mag API, but I don't really want to
implement any CORBA code in Compiz. But I do want to open this plugin
up so it can be driven by separate applications.

However, in the short term it makes sense to create a small piece of
code to fetch exactly what I need. I haven't decided whether I'll put
this code into the actual plug-in (separate thread, for instance),
which would be convenient for many, or let it live outside the
plug-in. Either way, the logical next step is a more complete API,
similar to the Gnome-mag API. Hopefully, that'll become the long-term
goal.

Another thing, I heard a rather strange rumor about AT-SPI C bindings
being depreciated? I assume that's just a misunderstanding of some
sort?

Kristian