Re: [g-a-devel] accessibility enhancement need attention

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 12:07 +0100, Kjartan Maraas wrote:
> ons, 10.01.2007 kl. 13.06 -0600, skrev George Kraft IV:
> > The accessibility enhancement for Preferred Applications as discussed at
> > the GNOME Summit in Boston is code complete, but it is only half way
> > checked in.  The rest of the bugs listed in the below referenced wiki
> > need to be committed, or the two commits already done need to be backed
> > out.  I need advice on how to proceed.
> >
> > http://live.gnome.org/GAP/ScratchPad/PreferredApplications
> >
> I have a question about how enabling/disabling a11y will work after
> these patches have gone in. As I understand it the keys for that along
> with the "old" preference dialog are scheduled for retirement?

Selecting the hardcoded "screen reader", "magnifier", and "on-screen
keyboard" from gnome-at-properties will be retired; however, "enable
assistive technologies" will remain.  It is envisioned that other
accessibility configuration may migrate to gnome-at-properties.

http://www.freestandards.org/~gk4/a11y/atprop.png

> Will the patched gnome-session just do the right thing wrt atk-bridge
> and at-spi-registryd from now on based on whether you have enabled any
> ATs?

They will still be launched based on the "enable assistive
technologies".  The hardcoded AT launches in gnome-session have been
removed and moved to /usr/share/gnome/autostart/ which are gated by the
new gconf keys.

> What about moving "Enable assistive technologies" to the gdmgreeter?
> Then people wouldn't have to log out and back in to get it up and
> running (if it is still needed that is).

That wouldn't help in most scenarios, and it would complicate the
anonymous user state of gdm versus specific user preferences.  This
enhancement is to improve the selection of the ATs and not the starting
of at-spi-registryd and atk-bridge.  What you are getting at could be a
separate work item to ponder.  :-)

PS: We have dramatically improved the launching of at-spi-registryd with
163132.

Thanks Kjaran with committing the needed gconf changes.

George (gk4)