Re: [g-a-devel] Default magnification values for gnopernicus.

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 01:56, Luke Yelavich wrote:
> Hi all
> I am working with the Ubuntu guys to get a deacent accessibility
> environment set up for the next release, as the Live CD will have
> accessibility support from the word go, should it be desired.

Hi Luke, that's great news!  Thanks a bunch for helping make ubuntu
accessible, including the Live CD.

> Talking with other people on the ubuntu-accessibility list, they found
> that the magnifier window, i.e the window that displays the magnified
> content is easier when it is at the bottom of the screen, rather than on
> the right-hand side.

In past versions of gnome-mag and gnopernicus, there were problems with
horizontal magnification settings.  I believe that CVS HEAD of
gnopernicus and gnome-mag, together, have improved that situation.  But
I would not advocate that change without a bit of testing.

> So I have been looking at the best way to implement these settings by
> default, and don't know which direction to take.
>
> I tried modifying the gnopernicus gconf schema to the values suggested,
> and found that the whole screen would be covered by the magnifier window
> when attempting to turn magnifier on as a user with no previously saved
> gconf settings. I was then digging through the package contents, and
> noticed some hard-coded values in srconf/libsrconf/libsrconf.h. I
> haven't tried changing these, but before we implement something for the
> longterm, I would like to know where is the best place to adjust the
> default values?

The gconf keys should be the right place to change the defaults - in the
schema default values, I think.

However, wouldn't it be better to provide fullscreen magnification
instead?  This gives a much better user experience.  It does require
that the 'dummy driver' for the XOrg server be installed, but it gives
access to the full screen.  I'm not sure what the implications for a
Live CD environment are, but if the Live CD is providing its own X
server, there are ways to restart it with the appropriate flags, if the
user indicates that s/he wants magnification.

regards

Bill