Re: [g-a-devel] Happy patch bonanza

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 06:57:00PM +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:

> > recode.patch
> >   Patch for gnome-speech festival driver.  When one of the Italian
> >   voices is requested, switches the g_io output channel to latin1
> >   instead of utf-8.
> Are you sure this is sufficient?  Don't you need to call g_convert in
> order to convert the strings from the gnome-speech client to latin1
> before passing them to the engine?

Yes, it is sufficient, and I tested the patched gnome-speech for quite a
while enjoying for the first time a good trip at a spoken OpenOffice,
and a nice read of lots of accented characters.

I must admit I was surprised myself.  Apparently the g_io infrastructure
has been designed smartly so that UTF-8 applications can talk with the
external world in its many incarnations.

> That's great news.  But it seems to me that there should be something
> more general and robust than just checking the voice string, in order to
> determine the correct encoding which the festival engine/voice expects.

True.  And if one day the italian festival voice will be changed to take
utf-8, then gnome-speech will need changing as well.

However, I have currently no idea how to query a festival voice for the
preferred encoding.  Maybe there's a super-simple lisp function for
that, and we can get rid of the compiled-in per-voice encoding list.
Or, otherwise, it can be not compiled in but read from a config file.

> Note also that this problem seems to have been introduced on May 14 when
> Will explicitly changed the encoding on the iochannel from ISO-8859-1 to
> UTF-8.  Will, can you explain why you did that?

To me it makes a lot of sense to send out data in UTF-8 by default: I
think that it's the italian voice that is broken in this regard.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico debian org>