Re: [g-a-devel] Accessibility in Preferred Applications

I agree with Carlos that gnome-mag's 'magnifier' binary should not appear in the preferred applications dialog.

However I have some misgivings about separating out "screen reader" and "magnifier" in the first place. In discussions at the Gnome summit I got the impression that it made more sense to just use the existing session-management/startup-program facilities to start whatever assistive technologies the end-user wished.

However I think this means keeping the ATs in the main menu somewhere - if not in the main 'Applications' menu, at least in an "Assistive Technologies" or "Universal Access" submenu of Applications. I have misgivings about moving them into the 'Accessibility' or 'AT' dialog, as Henrik proposes, and have come to doubt the appropriateness of putting them in the "Preferred Applications" menu.

Possibly the right approach is to modify the GUI for the "Assistive Technology Support" dialog so that the "screenreader"/"magnifier"/"onscreen keyboard" checkboxes go away, and are replaced by a facility for choosing one or more applications from the "AT" category. I think such categorization of apps can be done via the apps' ".desktop" files, so such a dialog could find all applications that self-identified as assistive technologies and present them in such a GUI.

Bill