Re: [Fwd: Re: [g-a-devel] gnopernicus: srcore module - what is the function of srctrl.c]

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 18:08, Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues Diogenes wrote:

> > I find it strange, because all the functions are static and many
> > functionalities that are implemented in srctrl.c is in srmag.c too.
> > The main control is changing and being more modular? The srmag.c is
> > substituing srctrl.c?
>
> It's just a case of too many layers.  I can't explain why this is.  ;-)

Any screen reader uses script to allow users to customize the
functionality. The intention is to have this support in gnopernicus too.
These scripts should be able to control everything in gnopernicus. For
this, they should have the possibility to intercept and change the
"internal gnopernicus commands". In the light of this, gnopernicus has a
commands queue. In this queue are put the commands (as strings). Every
string has associate a command (a C call). The string representation is
very useful because user has the possibility to map those commands to
keys, and it will make the script clear.

> >> Realize that 'gnopernicus' and 'srcore' are two separate binaries,
> >> 'gnopernicus' spawns 'srcore' and communicates with it via gconf.
> >>
> >> (That is not the recommended way for applications to use gconf, but
> >> that's how gnopernicus does it).
> >

> > It does not appear to be a good way too, it's not so much slow?
>
> I don't think speed is the problem here.  And I don't think it
> necessarily accesses the disk each time here.  However, the gconf
> developer docs say that one should not use gconf as an IPC mechanism.

That's true. Also, users don't change settings all the time, so, using
gconf is not doesn't slow down gnopernicus.