Re: [g-a-devel] Java-access-bridge INSTALL Discrepency

I'm returning to this email and have expanded the cc's on the email
somewhat. I am trying to be thorough here because I author a HOWTO for
Linux users that's widely read by users who are blind or visually
impaired. So, please bear with my desire for clarity here:

Padraig O'Briain writes:

> Janina Sajka wrote:
>
> >Thanks, Padraig. Unfortunately, I see two typos in the new guidance
> >below--at least, I think they're typos:
> >
> >Padraig O'Briain writes:
> >

> >>The text in the INSTALL file is wrong. I have updated it in CVS . I have
> >>attached the new version to this mail.
> >>

> >... snip snip ...
> >

> >>You may optionally include a java_home environment variable:
> >>
> >>	./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gnome-2.0 --with-java-home=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0
> >>
> >>(2a) If you obtained the java-access-bridge via a tarfile,
> >>run "./configure" in this directory with options as above.
> >>
> >>(3) run make to build gnome-java-access.tar.  You will need
> >>a Java Virtual Machine version 1.4.0 beta4 or higher.
> >>
> >>(4) run make install.
> >>
> >>(5) before running a Java program with the Java Access Bridge, you
> >>will need to make sure that your GNOME 2 installation enables
> >>CORBA traffic over IP from the ORBit2 ORB.  Do this by including
> >>the following line in a file, ".orbitrc" in your home directory:
> >>
> >>ORBIIOPIPv4=1
> >>
> >>You also need to modify your Java runtime environment to include
> >>gnome-java-bridge.jar in $JRE_HOME/lib/ext  and accessibility.properties
> >>in $JRE_HOME/lib.  The best way to do this is to create a symbolic links from
> >>

> >1.)	Did you mean to write "$JAVA_HOME" where you have "$JRE_HOME?"
> >
> No. According to README $JRE_HOMEis normally $JAVA_HOME/jre.

OK. But is this a requirement on the running system? Is
java-access-bridge looking for an environment variable $JRE_HOME? Or is
it sufficient to provide $JAVA_HOME as most documentation seems to
suggest?

Also, if $JRE_HOME is only referenced by the README for
java-access-bridge, isn't it clearer to repeat how $JRE_HOME is derived
in the INSTALL file as well? After all, the point is to support users,
not to test thorough research skills, correct?

				Janina

--

				Janina Sajka, Chair
				Accessibility Workgroup

janina freestandards org	Phone: +1 202.494.7040