Re: [g-a-devel]gnopernicus should read new name when received "accessible-name" changed signal

Hi Bill,

Only report the accessible-name change on focused widget is good.

My current situation is: in evolution calendar day view model, when you click another day from the calendar on the right, the day view was changed to reflect that change. That means, the title and content of the day view widget is changed, and day view object is the same. I use the title as the accessible name of the day view widget, and re-set the name to reflect the change of date, expecting gnopernicus to read the new name. (All the time, the day view widget has the focus).

As your suggested, maybe I can make a label to report such a change as "text-change". But currently the both "label" and the day view are in one "widget", they are all "drawn" by evolution calendar itself. So I think, if gnopernicus can read "new-name" on receiving the accessible name change signal is better and easier.

-Bolian

Bill Haneman wrote:

Thanks Bolian.  Your suggestion that property-change:accessible-name
should be sent, and listened for, seems correct to me.

However, for the actual scenario that led you to log this bug, we
probably need to do more thinking.  Under what conditions should such a
change be expected, and when should an AT present the new information? It may be impractical to expect gnopernicus, for instance, to *always*
speak accessible-name changes, particularly for widgets that aren't the
currently focussed accessible, since a name-change by itself doesn't
convey enough context information for a screenreader to make a good
presentation.  Is there perhaps another way to present this information
which is more 'general', i.e. should the information really be in a
ROLE_STATUS_BAR object which is generating text-changes, etc. etc.

So I think we should discuss the specific use case here since widgets
"changing names" at runtime are not a commonplace occurrence.

- Bill