Re: [g-a-devel]Nautilus menu labels

Mario Lang wrote:
Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com> writes:

Long long ago Peter Korn wrote:

Do you know what the AccessibleStateSet is for this menu?  (you can check it
with at-poke)  Objects that are aren't "visible" and "showing" should not be
rendered to the user via an AT.  If an AT is doing that, it is probably a
bug.

Actually there are some explicit exceptions, particularly for GOK. Since GOK is about providing a high-efficiency interface for users who
can't readily enter keyboard commands, GOK exposes certain kinds of
'hidden' UI elements rather than forcing the user to simulate the
keyboard shortcuts for posting them.

I think the same will be true at some point for blind related
ATs.  We do not see the GUI anyway, so we really do not
care about visibility.  If some functionality is easily accessible
by activating a "hidden" object, it is IMHO preferable to
having to navigate the desktop and manually do things which are
visually oriented.

I can not provide a concrete example for this yet, but
I do have the strong feeling that this is true.

I agree Mario. Someone once said "the best interface is the kind you don't notice". The term "navigating", to me implies that one does notice it on some level. Sorry it seems I digress... I think with interfaces there is always a trade off between learning curve and navigation. So your point is right on, that we should be able to bypass the navigation as we develop expertise. For example in the case of menu items (essential program functions), it is difficult to map shortcuts to the regular static keyboard exhaustively, although it is done in some highly used, or common cases (e.g. CTRL-C), but we all know this so I'll be quiet now.

cheers,

David