Re: [g-a-devel]trouble with key-listener-test

I'm getting the exact same behaviour I had earlier even with an accessible app in focus (gtk-demo text widget). I think perhaps I am doing something silly, or maybe need to update some of the core from cvs. Am I right in assuming that d. e. and f (with no modifiers) should result in stderr output to the shell where key-listener-test is running? Also, on the ALL_WINDOWS front, I was hoping to be able to listen to when modifier keys went down and up, no matter what window has focus. I wanted to devise a sequence of modifiers for switch devices that emulate mouse buttons. I want to consume mouse events that are coming from switches that are mean't to drive the gok (as opposed to mouse events that are mean't for the desktop, or other apps). Mouse and keyboard emulating devices such as the XKeys switch interface could be set up to send something like control_down - shift_down - mousebutton1_down_up - control_up - shift_up... the modifiers showing this to be a non-standard mouse event. The ultimate goal being that the gok can have switch input even on systems that only recognise mouse, and keyboard usb devices. Perhaps I should choose a modal command key combination such as ctrl-alt-shift-s to toggle switch mode? Are mouse and key events in the same queue or would I need to worry about synching problems?

cheers,

~~David
Bill Haneman wrote:

Hi David:

All of the tests below work on my system.  However note that the event
listeners which don't use the ALL_WINDOWS listener type only work when
keyboard focus is within an "accessible application".

It sounds to me as though you had keyboard focus elsewhere when running
the tests; since all key listener types except ALL_WINDOWS rely on the
accessibility framework to intercept keystrokes, they will only work
when an accessible application has focus.

Use of ALL_WINDOWS with ALL_KEYS is strongly discouraged, it will
interfere with the normal operation of things like the window manager on
some systems and will fail due to those conflicts on others.  The
ALL_WINDOWS keyword should only be used with specific command key
combinations, and sparingly.

Let me know if this does not answer your question.

Best regards,

-Bill