Re: [g-a-devel]Support for Color in ATK

I think we should ask ourselves the following question:

"Can I have in a well behaved GTK application a widget which has a red
text/background and another widget with let's say a blue text/background?"

If the answer is yes, then I think we need widget colors, because the blind
user should be able to distinguish between them. I also don't think that a
widget color will always express a state, it can be colored just to improve
app readability or to offer some extra (maybe app specific state)
information. A red button could mean in a given app or context "enabled" in
an other "disabled" but the difference is stil relevant for the blind user.
Or think for example at a viteotext app which could have four coloured and
unnamed buttons. Talking on a broader accessibillity scale, some apps could
use coloured widgets for iliterate users (so if SUN wants contracts from the
White House... ;-) ).

I don't know the "good behaviour rules" of GTK, but if using different
colors for widgets in a GTK app would make us say to the app programmers
that this is an ill-behaved app, I think they would laugh us at best. As
always, I'm not aware of what is really doable in the current time-frame and
of the costs of doing it. I just wanted to present my point of view from the
blind user perspective.

Draghi