Re: [g-a-devel] AtkInterfaces for gnome-about

Deepa,

I have spent some time figuring out why I could not manipulate gnome-about using
the keyboard. I have logged bug 71832 and proposed a patch.

After that experience, I seems to me that providng accessibility implementation
for gnome-about should be very low priority. If we do nothing the worst that
happens is that the list of contributors to Gnome are not available. This does
not seem like a major problem. However, the questions you have asked apply to
other widgets and applications.

Further comments below.

> To: "Padraig O'Briain" <Padraig Obriain sun com>, marc mulcahy sun com,
gnome-accessibility-devel gnome org
> Subject: Re: [g-a-devel] AtkInterfaces for gnome-about
>

> > you are attempting to do. Are you attempting to report the
> > names of the
> > contributors on the screen as the name of some AtkObject?
>
> Yes, that's what am trying to do. And this is my plan but am not sure if
> this is the right approach -
>
> Am trying to setup a ATK object for this drawing area and expose the
> names to the AT via atk_object_get_name interface. Meaning, provide
> *all* the contributors' names in *one string* to the AT. [ As against
> exposing each name as a AtkObject and a child of the drawing area. (As
> the names scroll in the drawing area) ]

This suggests that we would not be making available the names which are
currently displayed. I do not have an issue with this but I just want to clarify
it.

> Now, I have the following questions in mind -
>
> (1) Should I override the parent's AtkObject interface ? In the case of
> GtkDrawingArea, it's GailWidget.

It is GailWidget because we have not yet found anything interesting about
GtkDrawingArea to justify implementing a GailDrawingArea in the gail library.

> (2) If not, I will have to create a new Atk object for this widget and
> expose the information through it.

One could implement, say, a GailDrawingArea in gnome-about whose name is the
list of contributors' names. In gnome-about, you would have to override the
get_accessible method in the GtkWidgetClass structure for GtkDrawingArea to
ensure that the correct type of object is created when
gtk_widget_get_accessible() is called for the GtkDrawingArea

> (3) In both the cases, now that the widget doesn't gain focus, where
> will I setup the atk object. In other words, how will the AT get to the
> atk object ? Should I make the widget emit some event (grab_focus) ?
> (this seems to work but Ferret doesn't recognize the event, however).

The AT would get to the atk object by traversing the tree of accessible objects.
One would call atk_object_accessible_child() on its parent. This will cause
gail_container_ref_child() to be called which calls gtk-widget_get_accessible().
If gtk_widget_get_accessible() returns the correct type of object, see above,
then things should work.

Padraig