Re: [g-a-devel] AtkInterfaces for gnome-about

Deepa Natarajan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From the accessibility point of view I was looking at the gnome-about
> application (in gnome-core/gnome-about.)
>
> The gnome-logo has been drawn on a canvas. To make this accessible in
> terms of getting a description for the image i feel that either
> AtkImgage interface can be implemented or a description / tooltip can be
> set for the image. I would like to know which option here is better.
> Although i quite feel that a description here would suffice, considering
> the role of this image (just a logo).

AtkImage implementors should always implement atk_image_get_name and
atk_image_get_description I think, even if the information is partly
redundant, for consistency.

> The contributors names appear in a rectangle contained in the GtkDrawing
> area. I plan to expose the names as children of the GtkDrawingArea
> widget. And each child would implement AtkTextInterface.

I think this is not a good idea, since the names scroll, don't they?
Implementing AtkText for scrolling items is a real mess.  Since the
names are unattributed text,
it may be better just to use AtkObject's atk_object_get_name here.

> The other custom widgets like GnomeCanvasItem and GnomeCanvas would be
> made accessible once libgnomecanvas is made accessible. And GnomeHref
> and GnomeDialog would be accessible when libgnomeui is handled. Hope am
> right in ignoring these custom widgets with this assumption.
>
> The colors of the drawing area, text etc. is set to a predefined color
> black, white. I haven't tested yet but I feel this may affect
> black/white themes. Right ?

Yes.  It may be that these colors should be selected from the GTK+
theme.