RE: [g-a-devel]Gnome 2.0 : accessibility for the gnome-cd application

> Bill,
>
> On Jayaraj's question 3:
>

> > > 3. When we say GAIL library already has some code to
> > implement AtkText
> > > interfaces for a PangoLayout, do we mean to say that
> > applications can use
> > > the functions provided in GAIL to implement its own interfaces?
> > > Doesn't that make the application dependent on GAIL?
> >
> > In this case the application would have a build-time dependency on
> > gail-util.h.  It would have the same runtime dependency when
> > used in an
> > accessible context as any other application, but if gail is
> > not present
> > at runtime the application should still function (depending on how one
> > structures the initialization code for the custom widgets, at least).
> >

> I guess what you mean here is not to make the custom widget accessible IF
> Gail isn't loaded in the first place.
>
> Jayaraj, have a look at the implementation of get_accessible for libgtkhtml
> (html_view_get_accessible in gtkhtml2/libgtkhtml/view/htmlview.c). The
> if(first_time) block checks whether Gail has been loaded by querying the
> parent widget's factory. If loaded, the code proceeds to register the
> factory of the custom widgets.
>
> Bill/Padraig, Can we pull this functionality (check for GAIL) into a
> common-reusable function/MACRO ?

This is a good idea. The problem is where to put the function/MACRO. If it is in
gail/util it means that any project which wishes to use it then has a dependency
on gail.

Putting it in gtk+/gtkaccessible.h would solve that problem but we would not get
permission to do it this close to release.

Padraig