Re: [g-a-devel]Questions about accessibility

Hi Brian:

On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 18:47, Brian Cameron wrote:

> Accessibility developers:
>
> I am supposed to give a demo of Gnome with accessibility next week,
> so I am trying to learn how to run gok and gnopernicus.

> When I run gok I see that it has a number of buttons:
>
>    "back", "Compose", "Menus", "Toolbars", "Manage", "UI Grabber" and
>    "Settings"
>
> I see that when I click on "Compose" that the on-screen keyboard pops
> up.  However, I can't really see a way to get the "keys" that I type
> to appear in any window.  I've clicked on the other buttons like
> "Manage" and "UI Grabber" and they don't seem to affect anything.  Is
> there some trick that I need to use to get gok to start working?

Actually, all of the GOK dialogs except "settings" are onscreen
keyboards.

The generated keys are synthesized with XTest, so they are sent to the
currently active window.  If for instance a terminal window is focussed,
the gok events go there.

I suggest you try running gok with "dwell" selection on (see "settings",
and choose the "dwell" input method), to get familiar with how it
works.  If GOK itself is focussed (which shouldn't happen, this is a
known bug) then the key events go to gok rather than another
application, which of course is less than useful.

Other selection methods of interest (which are known to work with mouse
buttons) include 'Direct' and 'Row Column Scanning'.

> When I run gnopernicus I see the "settings" window which lets
> me set things like "General settings", "Speech settings", "Braile
> settings", "Magnifer settings", "Keyboard settings", "User properties",
> "Language settings", and "Load default settings".  However I can't
> seem to get it to actually do any magnification.  Again is there a
> trick I need to do to get this to work.  I don't have "festival"
> installed on my machine, so speech doesn't work.  I have access to
> the source code.  Is it worth my while to compile it?  Laca says it
> doesn't compile well with forte, but I suppose I could use gcc.
> If I compile it, then will gnopernicus start talking?

If you compile festival and run 'festival_server' from the resulting
'bin' directory, gnopernicus should talk, provided you have selected
'gnome-speech' as the speech method in the gnopernicus settings GUI.

HTH,

Bill