Re: GNOME 2.0 Licensing Issues

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 08:04:14PM -0600, John Fleck wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 03:20:53PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > Iain <iain ximian com> writes:
> > > COPYING is created by automake when you run the autogen.sh script. No
> > > autogenerated file is in CVS. automake also makes a symlink, so one copy
> > > of the file is shared between all the things you checked out of CVS. I
> > > think it's probably a space issue. The same happens for INSTALLING.
> >
> > I don't think we should be relying on this for COPYING. (Especially
> > because COPYING is wrong for libraries.) We should be putting COPYING
> > or COPYING.LIB in CVS for all modules.
> >

> And COPYING-DOCS for those packages containing docs licensed under the
> FDL.

Agreed. Just in general, which was the original poster's point, we
should make sure that everything contains a clear indication of the
license, whatever that license may be.

Checking into CVS is the right thing here, since automake just assumes
everything is GPL.

Malcolm

--
The cost of feathers has risen; even down is up!