Re: Another suggested libgnome API change

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 02:03:49AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > I'm now leaning back towards just keeping the gnome-exec like functions,
> > those really were a lot simpler.
> >

> If you want to run in a shell. gspawn doesn't support that
> specifically because it is normally wrong for security reasons.  The
> run dialog is one of the few exceptions.  We could add the flag
> G_SPAWN_WITH_USER_SHELL, of course.

Actually I think in the run dialog I might not be using a shell, but I'm too
lazy to look.  I think there using a shell is actually good. :)

> Which brings up the point, we need to specify whether .desktop files
> Exec= is supposed to be run via a shell. I believe the answer is no.

It'd be evil evil evil.  It must not be run with a shell.  Mostly since the
desktop file has to have 100% predictable semantics.  Imagine if people used
some bashism in the .desktop.  The only people who'd notice would be people
without bash, AND those people would not know what hit them.  You can
still use a shell in a desktop in the following way

Name=Free up disk space
Exec=/bin/sh -c 'rm -fR /'

(stupid example, but I couldn't figure out one where I'd need a shell:)

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Men willingly believe what they wish.