Re: gnome-vfs API freeze items

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:

> On 01Sep2001 12:57PM (-0400), Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> > Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:
> >
> > > * 8516 - [API] GClosure-ize everything
> > >      Note: I'm told this is critical for binding authors but I don't
> > >      really know the details of what it is, how to do it, or how much
> > >      work it would be.
> >
> > This actually needs to happen to all libraries in GNOME.  I think it
> > would be good to have an API review to see if any API's are
> > inappropriate for LBs.
>
> Has it been done for libgnome* yet? Also, can you point me to
> information on how (and why) to do this?

We need to write this up sometime.  At a minimum, you need sure that
every time you set user_data, you have a GtkDestroyNotify.  Ie, you have:
gtk_foo_set_func (), you need to do:
void  gtk_foo_set_func (GtkFoo           *foo,
                        GFooFunc          func,
                        gpointer          data,
                        GtkDestroyNotify  destroy);

Later on, you need to do (destroy) (data); in your "foo::destroy"
handler.

> > > * 8544 - [API] add thumbnail support
> > >      Note: I would personally make this a 2.2 item, but Lutz seems to
> > >      want it. It will almost certainly end up 2.2 unless Lutz steps up
> > >      to the plate with some code soon. :-)
> >
> > I thought the thumbnail spec being worked on just listed a place where
> > you could find thumbnails.  I don't see why we need special support in
> > GNOME-vfs for it?
>
> Digital cameras can provide thumbnails directly. See the bug report. I
> don't know if this will really need an API change, maybe the
> thumbnails can just magically appear in URI space where the thumbnail
> spec specifies (I guess I need to read the thumbnail spec and comment
> at some point).

That's what I think makes the most sense.  A separate thumbnail API
seems redundant to me.

-Jonathan