Re: adding deps to libgnomecanvas

Michael Meeks wrote:

Hi Alex,

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Alex Larsson wrote:

Do we really have to make GnomeCanvas depend on libglade? Could we not
just add gnome_register_type_name() somewhere, and call

       Not really as Tim says.

gnome_register_type_name ("GnomeCanvas", gnome_canvas_get_type);

       Just a:

void
gnome_canvas_init (void)
{
       gnome_canvas_get_type ();
}

       Would do - but as everyone knows registering types you don't need
is expensive, and init functions are evil :-) which is why the proposal is
not very pleasant in general.
Less expensive for gtk 2.0. Only the get_type() routine is being executed. The class_init() function is delayed until the first call to g_type_class_ref(). So all that is being registered is pointers to the init functions, and the inheritance heirachy of the type.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/