Re: adding deps to libgnomecanvas

Alex Larsson wrote:

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, James Henstridge wrote:

As I said in private mail, in the case of GnomeCanvas, we don't need any widget construction routines specific to the canvas (the generic construction routine is used). Because libglade can now handle arbitrary widget types that have been registered with the type system, a call to gnome_canvas_get_type() will be sufficient to construct canvas widgets.

Do we really have to make GnomeCanvas depend on libglade? Could we not just add gnome_register_type_name() somewhere, and call

gnome_register_type_name ("GnomeCanvas", gnome_canvas_get_type); In libgnomecanvas. This would store the typename in a table for libglade to look up.

I'm pretty ignorant of this issue, please flame me if i'm totally on crack.

Just putting the following somewhere:
 gnome_canvas_get_type();

is sufficient for libglade. That call is probably about as expensive as a gnome_register_type_name() call would be. Also note that libgnomecanvas doesn't depend on any of the gnome libraries :)

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/