Re: Floppy disk access in Gnome - followup.

<quote who="George Farris">

> (1)
> There was a comment that this is a linux kernel issue and that GNOME
> installs on more that just Linux.
>
> Yes you are of course correct, however, I was referring to Linux and
> GNOME and the issue of floppy disk access is not one of just the
> kernel.  Floppy disks are used by people, and generally through a UI of
> some type.  In our case it will be GNOME.  The OS and the desktop have
> to work together in order for this to happen.

Perhaps this is a nice excuse, but it's a kernel problem, and has to be
fixed at level, or slightly above.

Read the letters in this LWN back page; there is a link that describes how
to set up autofs to operate much like MS DOS:

  http://lwn.net/2000/0622/backpage.php3

Now, run off and convince all of the distros to do it this way, and we can
have a sane floppy drive for our desktop users.

- Jeff

--
     Broken hearts rarely come with "Some Assembly Required" stickers.