Re: Minutes of the GNOME 2.0 Release Team Meeting - 2001/10/13:ãyã

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 01:57:41PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Minutes of the GNOME 2.0 Release Team Meeting - 2001/10/13
> [...]
> > * What does porting mean?
> >
> >   - 'Policy' on what is required for GNOME 2.0 core app
> >
> >   - Do we need that kind of 'policy' for Fifth Toe release?
> >
> >   - Something to take up with Malcolm, who is writing our porting guide
>
> Umm ... what does this mean? Am I meant to have an opinion or just
> follow instructions? What's a policy? I'm just writing a "how to do it"
> thingie.

That item refered to the release team defining what constitutes a GNOME 2
application.  I think the general consensus at the meeting was that we
suggest to developers that they get the bare minimum done first in order to
get the thing to compile and run.  Then as time permits, more advanced
GNOME 2 features can be incorporated into the applications to provide a
better user experience and better integration.

Right now I don't think you have to worry about this with respect to your
document (Thanks for offering to write it, BTW!).  I think the idea was
that if a set of policies are written up it might be useful to include them
in your document.  I'm sure the appropriate person will contact you when
that occurs.

name:    Jamin Philip Gray
email:   jgray writeme com
icq:     1361499