Minutes of the GNOME 2.0 Release Team Meeting - 2001/10/13

Minutes of the GNOME 2.0 Release Team Meeting - 2001/10/13

Past minutes can be found here: http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/g2rt/

Present:

  Jamin P. Gray
  Telsa Gwynne
  Gregory Leblanc
  Maciej Stachowiak (chair)
  Sander Vesik
  Jeff Waugh (minutes)

Regrets, or None In The Slightest (John!):

  John Fleck
  Karl Gaffney
  Jody Goldberg
  Kjartan Maraas
  Michael Meeks
  Seth Nickell

Previous Actions
================

  DONE: Announce schedule + dot.plan website

  DONE: Core packages proposal and discussion
   => Drowned out by schedule discussion, light this one up again

  DONE: John to talk to Jeff & Dan Mueth about d.g.o status.
   => started email discussions, need IRC time

  DONE: Sander to check on Sun's autobuild - public packages or status
   => should be able to have solaris packages on GNOME ftp

  PENDING: Telsa's bugzilla documentation & MUSTFIX guide
   => Telsa promises to have done this weekend

  PENDING: Maciej to pay Andy from The Register 'a visit'.
   => arms delivery delayed due to supply problems

  PENDING: Greg to set up round robin FTP setup and push mirroring
   => send mirror admin contacts to Greg
   => Jason Andrade <jason dstc edu au> as contact from Jeff

Actions
=======

  ACTION: Jeff to bug hackers about features. And document them (which is the
    real distinction here).

  ACTION: Maciej to post schedule reasoning, preferably with feature list
    provided by Jeff

  ACTION: Jeff to contact Aaron re: TODO list

  ACTION: Maciej to post about area coordinators MUSTFIX responsibilities

Decisions & Discussions
=======================

* GNOME 2.0 TODO list web page / bug list

  - We should have wide scope web page, noting down what hackers have done so
	far and plan to do

  - Bugzilla appropriate for fine-grained issue sorting

  - Encourage the use of Bugzilla all over GNOME

  - Jeff will bug hackers about feature lists, etc.

* Review of responses to GNOME 2.0 schedule

  - Only a little bit of creeping featurism syndrome displayed on list

  - Iain most outspoken about possibly delaying release for new features, also
	pushed for status and TODO list to good effect

  - Status list should convince naysayers that GNOME 2.0 will indeed be filled
	with wondorous delights ('features').

  - Havoc's posts on this were great, much agreement from the release team on
	his crackless approach.

* Thoughts on: http://news.gnome.org/1002781202/index_html
               http://primates.ximian.com/~aaron/requests.html

  - Lots of these seem to be covered by GNOME 2.0 already

  - Really up to individual maintainers

  - Great core to base Status/TODO list on, thanks to Iain and Aaron

* GNOME 2.0 development quotes

  - Send funnies/insights to Jeff, who is compiling a list

* What does porting mean?

  - 'Policy' on what is required for GNOME 2.0 core app

  - Do we need that kind of 'policy' for Fifth Toe release?

  - Something to take up with Malcolm, who is writing our porting guide

* Area Coordinators MUSTFIX stuff

  - Maciej will post request for area coordinators to choose and collate
	MUSTFIX bugs by certain date, discussion of feasability

  - This should be carried out on list

- Jeff

--
   "I think hot Chinese girls who kick ass are the wave of the future, as
                far as films go." - Cody Russell (bratsche)