Re: gnome-utils porting report

On Sun, 2001-10-14 at 22:42, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> writes:
> > * gcharmap: needs the font-picker in libgnomeui (ported that), needs
> > much more work (font-picker is buggy), pango doesn't like the non-utf8
> > hacks in there.
>
> It needs a rewrite, it was totally broken i18n-wise in 1.x as
> well. Someone needs to get the character tables from the Unicode spec
> (available for download from unicode.org), and write a Perl script to
> extract the info from them such as the name of each character, and the
> script it belongs to. Then you use that data to make a char picker
> that handles all of Unicode - there's one of these in Windows I think
> you could look at the UI for.
>
> Using the info in the Unicode tables, you could e.g. have tabs for the
> various sections of the character space (Latin-1, Japanese, Thai,
> etc.), and display the name of each character in a tooltip, that sort
> of nice stuff. Some thought to doing things lazily to avoid
> creating thousands of PangoLayout on startup would be required.

I reckon somebody with more i18n knowledge than me should do that. I'll
just punt gcharmap, and wait until somebody comes up with better... Or
I'll look into it later (much later).

> > * gnome-run, grun: "Popup a command dialog. Original version by Elliot
> > Lee, bloatware edition by Havoc Pennington. Both versions written in 10
> > minutes or less. :-)". TODO, one of them... we'll see which one is the
> > less hackish ;)
>
> These have been absorbed by the panel so should just die. (And the
> panel version is even more bloated, woo-hoo!)

Hehe ;) We would need a way to call some of the functions of the panel
from outside. It should at least be possible from some Perl-foo (for
inclusion into scripts for example) and from C. I can think of:
- Run
- Lock Screen
- Logout
and the screenshot function

Havoc, what about the libgtop side-by-side install ?

Cheers