Re: gnome-utils porting report

Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> writes:
> * gcharmap: needs the font-picker in libgnomeui (ported that), needs
> much more work (font-picker is buggy), pango doesn't like the non-utf8
> hacks in there.

It needs a rewrite, it was totally broken i18n-wise in 1.x as
well. Someone needs to get the character tables from the Unicode spec
(available for download from unicode.org), and write a Perl script to
extract the info from them such as the name of each character, and the
script it belongs to. Then you use that data to make a char picker
that handles all of Unicode - there's one of these in Windows I think
you could look at the UI for.

Using the info in the Unicode tables, you could e.g. have tabs for the
various sections of the character space (Latin-1, Japanese, Thai,
etc.), and display the name of each character in a tooltip, that sort
of nice stuff. Some thought to doing things lazily to avoid
creating thousands of PangoLayout on startup would be required.

> * gnome-run, grun: "Popup a command dialog. Original version by Elliot
> Lee, bloatware edition by Havoc Pennington. Both versions written in 10
> minutes or less. :-)". TODO, one of them... we'll see which one is the
> less hackish ;)

These have been absorbed by the panel so should just die. (And the
panel version is even more bloated, woo-hoo!)

Havoc