Re: gettext usage in libraries

An, 2001-11-27 19:32, Ulrich Drepper rašė:
> Gediminas Paulauskas <menesis delfi lt> writes:
>
> > 2. If .po file is in charset other than utf-8, translations are got in
> > wrong charset. To avoid that, you can call
> >
> > 	bind_textdomain_codeset (GETTEXT_PACKAGE, "UTF-8")
>
> You never ever should call this function.  Anywhere.  It is a hack
> which is used only in broken environments.  The .po files (and .mo
> files) contain all the information needed to make the correct
> conversions.

So we should force all Gnome 2 users to switch to UTF-8 locale. There is
no other way.

That function is needed because systems are in different locale than
UTF-8 (e.g. mine is in lt_LT.ISO8859-13), but Gtk+ 2.0 needs everything
in UTF-8.

Or should we use setlocale (LC_ALL, "something.UTF-8") instead?

--
Gediminas Paulauskas
Kaunas, Lithuania