Re: help browser plan

tis 2001-11-27 klockan 04.46 skrev Havoc Pennington:

> John Fleck <jfleck inkstain net> writes:
> > Mikael Hallendal has been working on a GNOME help browser based on
> > DevHelp that he's calling Yelp, which uses gtkhtml2 and apparently
> > sorta works.
>
> Perfect - is it in CVS? Is it a fork of devhelp (ideally developers
> would use the same help browser as users, right?)? Mikael do you think
> a GNOME 2 (February) release date is feasible? Can we have something
> that builds and mostly works starting now-ish, and go ahead and wire
> it up to the gnome-libs stuff?

It is module 'yelp' in gnomecvs. The current status is that it now can:

* Get different "books" from scrollkeeper
* Doesn't handle the TOC from a book in scrollkeeper (should be easy to
  fix).
* Can read and display DevHelp books (not really needed for a regular
  help-browser.)
* Patanjali has been working on getting info and man support working
  (don't know the status yet, got home from Dublin yesterday).
* Searching for keywords is not yet started but planned.

Now that Patanjali is helping on it I think we should be able to finish
it in time. I have to talk to Patanjali though, now that he has had time
to look at the code. My two main concerns are

1) HTML widget to use. GtkHTML2 is probably enough in it's current
state. It needs some bugfixes which causing it to crash every now and
then, the bug in mind is after some change in the Pango API. I think
it's a one-liner. I'll get to look at that some day.
I also think that GtkHTML2 has to be made accessable if used in the
help-browser (this is an issue no matter HTML-widget or helpbrowser
though).

2) Lack of time for me and Patanjali, I have no idea how much time
Patanjali has to hack on this but I know my time is somewhat limited
with porting of MrProject coming up in december aswell. I'll try to hack
on this as much as I can though if people feel that we should use Yelp
as our prefered helpbrowser.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/