Re: [G2R] Why is bonobo-config a 2.0 core library?

<quote who="Maciej Stachowiak">

> > eg. I very much doubt that anyone is using libgnomeprint yet.  Does that
> > mean we should drop it from the platform ? I assume not.
>
> If it's really true that no one is using it, we should consider it;
> however, I've seen a couple of print-preview type screenshots that seem to
> indicate that apps are using it.

Sorry, this makes no sense to me (the removing bit, not the screenshots bit).

(The following is my perspective, please correct if necessary.)

  Inclusion in the devel platform means a commitment to API/ABI
  compatibility, and encouragement to use the library. An ability we provide
  as a core part of GNOME, be it for desktop tools, applications, etc - a
  benefit for both hackers and users. I can't for one moment think about why
  we'd remove such an enormously useful library from this list... Perhaps if
  it were unstable, sure, it shouldn't be there, but I didn't get that
  impression from libgnomeprint.

It would be el-neat-o to be able to have things like gtkhtml, gal and
librsvg in the devel platform for this reason, but they often their
inclusion does not make sense because of stability/API issues.

Maybe if we were talking about libplaydoh, this conversation would make
sense. ;)

- Jeff

--
    "If your life was a movie, would you pay to see it? Would you pay to
                see an advertisement for it?" - James Morris