Re: [G2R] Why is bonobo-config a 2.0 core library?

On 26Nov2001 04:14PM (+1100), Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Maciej Stachowiak">
>
> > > eg. I very much doubt that anyone is using libgnomeprint yet.  Does that
> > > mean we should drop it from the platform ? I assume not.
> >
> > If it's really true that no one is using it, we should consider it;
> > however, I've seen a couple of print-preview type screenshots that seem to
> > indicate that apps are using it.
>
> Sorry, this makes no sense to me (the removing bit, not the screenshots bit).
>
> (The following is my perspective, please correct if necessary.)
>
>   Inclusion in the devel platform means a commitment to API/ABI
>   compatibility, and encouragement to use the library. An ability we provide
>   as a core part of GNOME, be it for desktop tools, applications, etc - a
>   benefit for both hackers and users. I can't for one moment think about why
>   we'd remove such an enormously useful library from this list... Perhaps if
>   it were unstable, sure, it shouldn't be there, but I didn't get that
>   impression from libgnomeprint.

My assumption is that anything not being used is a priori not useful
(or else not stable enough to use yet, and thus probably not stable
enough to freeze).

But I think gnome-print has some degree of use, or at least plans to
use it among app developers.

> It would be el-neat-o to be able to have things like gtkhtml, gal and
> librsvg in the devel platform for this reason, but they often their
> inclusion does not make sense because of stability/API issues.

I think it's good that libraries can be worked on and used before they
commit to full API stability.

It's best not to make the devel platform too large or too full of
things that are not genuinely useful, as this raises the maintenance
burden.

Regards,

Maciej