Re: API freeze for GNOME 2

Hi Daniel,

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>   More seriously, libxml2/libxslt is used in very different contexts
> than the Gnome framework, the library sits at a crossroads and I try
> to make everybody happy, this mean I may have different release issues
> and requirements than say libbonobo-ui. That said, I will take extreme
> care to not break the framework and will follow the release rules,
> hoping that no conflict will get raised.

        You do realize that the board resolution - as transmitted to me by
authoritative hearsay on the release team list - includes not adding APIs.

        Personaly I think this is a totaly inappropriate stricture to
apply to libxml for two reasons:

        * The maintainer advertised that this was his intent way back

        * The maintainer is acting in the best interests of Gnome 2.0 and
          getting the release out - hasn't caused any real problems,
          and thus should be cut slack until such time as any problem
          arise. pwrt. a lack of 'fascism' about changes.

        Strangely - this is quite a uniform feeling I have about all
modules; if no pain is inflicted - there's little point in inflicting pain
back - but others beg to differ.

        So ... I suggest that you follow the release rules; only insofar
as they concord with common sense. [ I note the board meeting notes, don't
mention this aspect of not adding APIs ( especialy ludicrous for use
outside Gnome ) so perhaps I've got confused somewhere ]. The last thing
we want is module stagnation.

        Regards,

                Michael.