Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: [gnome-love] GNOME user environment brainstorming
- From: John Harper <jsh pixelslut com>
- To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org>
- Cc: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>, Miguel de Icaza <miguel ximian com>, nautilus-list eazel com, gnome-love gnome org, gnome-2-0-list gnome org, Calum Benson <calum benson ireland sun com>, "James M. Cape" <jcape ignore-your tv>, Anna Dirks <anna ximian com>, Joakim Ziegler <joakim ximian com>
- Subject: Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: [gnome-love] GNOME user environment brainstorming
- Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:57:05 -0700
Maciej Stachowiak writes:
|begin Havoc Pennington quotation:
|> He did a Nautilus view that shows the capplets as icons, and the shell
|> app that makes any capplet into a standalone app.
|Actually, the hack was a gnome-vfs module for "control-center:", the
|capplets would show up in the regular Nautilus icon and list views.
Yes. There were a few other components as well. I've put a snapshot up
for ftp at
The README file follows:
This module has a collection of hacks to change the behaviour of the
GNOME control center. It contains the following:
- A CORBA servant implementing the GNOME::control_center interface
requested by capplets when they are run. Instead of displaying all
applets in the same window, it creates separate windows for each
Initially run the servant (it's called hack-cc-server) in the
background, it will then hijack all capplet registrations
It also implements a `View as Capplet' option in nautilus
- A gnome-vfs module implementing the `control-center:' uri scheme
All .desktop files in the control center's tree appear under the
control-center: root, accessible by their `real' names. E.g.
Reading from these files returns a simplified form of the .desktop
- A program `hack-cc-run-capplet' that accepts a sequence of URIs
identifying capplet .desktop files. It will launch each given
- Various mime metadata files to make everything work
- An optional patch to nautilus to let it grab icons from .desktop
- A file `Control Center' which you can copy to `~/.nautilus/desktop'
to get a link to control-center: on your desktop
So, after installing this stuff, you will (1) be able to browse the
applets under the `control-center:' uri in nautilus, and (2) never have
to see the old gnomecc shell again!
] [Thread Prev