Re: libgnome: User level

On 20 Jun 2001, Cody Russell wrote:

> On 20 Jun 2001 13:44:24 -0400, Michael Meeks wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Colm Smyth wrote:
> > > My suggestion would be that every application that implements a
> > > user-level feature should maintain it's own idea of user-level (and
> > > this includes how it saves this setting to a configuration store like
> > > GConf).
> >
> >         I would agree entirely. I like to think myself relatively familiar
> > with emacs, but totaly inexpert with abiword eg.
> >
> >         Conversely, for some things that just appear to be a single part
> > of the overall desktop [ to the user ] such as Nautilus & the panel -
> > perhaps sharing the same setting helps a lot.
>
> Also, a default value should exist somewhere.  When I install GNOME for
> the first time, I should be asked what user level to use.  Applications
> will then know where to begin with user level, and be adjustable from
> there by the user.

I think there may be two different ideas being tossed about here.  The
first is that individual applications can have different user-levels
from other applications.  So I could set Evolution to "Intermediate"
while setting Galeon to "Expert".  The other idea is that individual
applications are responsible for what each level *means* to that
application.  So if I say I am a "Novice" Evolution user, it would be
up to Evolution to set the appropriate application settings, hide
options, etc. for that setting.

name:    Jamin Philip Gray
email:   jgray writeme com
icq:     1361499