Re: gnome-libs 2.0 API

Ettore Perazzoli <ettore ximian com> writes:

> > Basically we can do the same as with GnomeDock: move GnomeMDI to libcompat
> > and deprecate it and develop a new BonoboMDI.
>
>   Ah-hah.  I didn't know GnomeDock was deprecated.

Dude, you're confused.

GnomeDock is deprecated, that's true.

BonoboDock is exactly the same code than GnomeDock, just with another name
and ported to GTK+ 2.0. When I moved GnomeDock into libcompat and deprecated
it I actually talked with Michael about making GnomeDock a set of #defines,
but then we decided to leave the old GnomeDock implementation in libcompat so
that we can more easily change the new BonoboDock if necessary.

So if you're using GnomeDock in your application, do a

        s/GnomeDock/BonoboDock/g;
        s/gnome_dock/bonobo_dock/g;

and you're done.

>   What is the reason for this?

The reason was that GnomeDock was in libgnomeui, but we didn't want to make
libbonoboui depend on libgnomeui. So we moved GnomeDock to bonoboui and renamed
it.

>   The Bonobo interface doesn't let you do everything GnomeDock does.
> And even if it did, I think it still makes sense to have access to the
> actual widgets in case you want to do different, non necessarily
> Bonobo-related things.

The code is still there, just with another name .....

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)