Re: Confusion of Applet and Capplet :)

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 02:49:14AM +0100, Glynn Foster wrote:
> Among the suggestions were -
>
> Gizmos,Widget,Gadgets,Helplets,Docklets,GNOMElets,Yokeys,Thingameybobs,Whizlets,
> Evilets,Miniapps....the list is endless....
> [hrm, the more I go on, the more dumb it gets :/]

I myself prefer 'frmgtunfut'.  It has several advantages:

  * It utterly confuses users
  * Ease of translation, the word is nonsense in EVERY language, and is all
    ASCII
  * Equally hard to pronounce in every language

Anyway, somewhat seriously.  We actually talked about changing th ename some
time ago for 2.0.  I want to make the new idl interfaces for panel use that
name if possible.  I can't remember what name we thought was best then,
perhaps it was gizmos.

I think gizmo is actually not that bad and I can think of several ways to
translate it to czech, I think every language has words for things like that.

Miniapp would also work I suppose though it's a bit more boring, but has an
advantage of being very similar in all languages.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   it is time to reform.