Re: GNOME 1.x and 2.0 interoperability issues

On 18 Jun 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> So if you did #include <gtk/gtk.h> you would frequently accidentally
> get GTK 1.2.

	I think that's what's happening in the case of oaf too.

> We had to do an update release of GTK 1.2 moving the headers:
>  includedir/gtk-1.2/gtk/gtk.h
>  includedir/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h
>
> Then you always get what pkg-config specifies (-I includedir/gtk-2.0)
>
> Other libs will need to do the analagous change if they haven't.

	But, tell me, is this necessary for all libraries regardless of
whether there is API breakage or not ? It seems to be that if the API has
changed, then what you guys did was the best thing to do.  Otherwise, it
shouldn't be necessary right ? Or wrong ?

	Regards,

		Ravi

--
"If you're smart, you'll be humble. There always is somebody
who hasn't read a book and knows twice as much as you do."

              -- David Duchonvy in Readers' Digest

	Ravi Pratap M         <ravi che iitm ac in>
                      <http://www.iitm.ac.in/~ravi>