Re: GConf vs. bonobo-config

Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org> writes:
> And now I roll on the floor laughing, this is the best joke of this week.

I have never said GConf has a CORBA interface. GConf is a C
interface.

But the supposed reason for bonobo-config is to remove C interfaces
and libraries.  This is not the reason for GConf.

Moreover, I refuse to acknowledge that it's even remotely valid to
flame me for not knowing any fact about bonobo-conf(ig) - because it
has NEVER BEEN DISCUSSED AT ALL ON ANY LIST I READ, ESPECIALLY NOT ON
GCONF-LIST OR GNOME-LIBS-DEVEL OR GNOME-2-0-LIST OR ANY PLACE YOU
MIGHT EXPECT. I am looking at the code just today and trying to get
this situation fixed. The only conversation on those lists has been
about a GConf WRAPPER. That's fine. This REIMPLEMENTATION is a whole
different can of worms because it screws up the one-config-database
property of the desktop.

There are ZERO interesting design differences I've found so far
between GConf and bonobo-config. I just want to know what Dietmar was
thinking replicating all my work if his thing is going to be exactly
the same. GConf is an original design that we had already agreed to
use and is already finished and is already used in Nautilus. Dietmar
comes along, copies my design nearly exactly with s/G/Bonobo/, calls
it his all-new creation, and it gets stuck in gnome-libs with no
discussion. Moreover it was presented to me all along as a WRAPPER.

Anyway, Dietmar, Martin - what is the rationale for bonobo-config the
reimplementation vs. the wrapper, present the case for it. You made
the change, you have to justify it. Let's start the thread over.

I'm sorry for flaming but if someone stole your entire design, claimed
their nearly identical design was "better," then stuck it in
gnome-libs with no discussion, you'd be upset too. If bonobo-config
was at least different or addressed network configuration or had a
different license or was in some other way _interesting_ then I
wouldn't be remotely as annoyed...

But I'll try to calm down, I'm going to go out for the night, in the
morning maybe you can post a nice calm rationale for this
reimplementation and we can talk about it like non-annoyed people.

Thanks.

Havoc