Re: TODO #1: GNOME 1.x and 2.0 interoperability

Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org> writes:
> c) GCONF - GConf is optional in GNOME 2 since we're using bonobo-config,
>            but it needs to be fixed anyways. At the moment, you cannot start
>            any GNOME 1.x applications while the GNOME 2 gconfd is running and
>            vice-versa.

I believe this will just magically work once the oafd thing works.
There may be some minor issues to sort out but I'm happy to fix them
once I can get a working ORBit/OAF setup.

However, you are on crack about GConf being optional - bonobo-config
allows a different backend, but we don't currently have a different
backend that does the desktop-wide notification, etc., and it is not
trivial to write one. So GConf is only theoretically optional.

(Unless someone has been doing some serious duplication of effort
without talking to me about it.)

What bonobo-config backend do you suggest using instead?

In any case, the GConf C API is in the platform pending some
discussion deciding otherwise - it's in the 1.4 platform and will
continue to be supported.

Havoc