Re: TODO #1: GNOME 1.x and 2.0 interoperability

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org> writes:
> > c) GCONF - GConf is optional in GNOME 2 since we're using bonobo-config,
> >            but it needs to be fixed anyways. At the moment, you cannot start
> >            any GNOME 1.x applications while the GNOME 2 gconfd is running and
> >            vice-versa.
>
> I believe this will just magically work once the oafd thing works.
> There may be some minor issues to sort out but I'm happy to fix them
> once I can get a working ORBit/OAF setup.

OAF is already working, at least if you use the GNOME 1.x oafd. At the moment,
I have Nautilus running and I'm doing GNOME 2.0 work .....

However, so far I had little success with gconfd.

> However, you are on crack about GConf being optional - bonobo-config
> allows a different backend, but we don't currently have a different
> backend that does the desktop-wide notification, etc., and it is not
> trivial to write one. So GConf is only theoretically optional.

I'm not saying that we should remove it, I'm just saying that you don't need
it to compile GNOME 2. If you want to use GConf in your application, then your
application depends on GConf, but I don't see why a library should depend on
something which it does not use.

What's so special about this desktop-wide notification stuff that bonobo-config
cannot do this ?

Desktop-wide notification means that an app can get a callback if some config
value changes, even if another application changed it, right ?

This already works in bonobo-config with any backend which is not a shared
library.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)