Re: gnome-core CVS

On 31 Jul 2001 13:50:39 +0800, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> At the moment, the main branch in gnome-core is what is used to make the
> 1.4.x releases. There is also a GNOME20 branch that has been being used
> to start moving the panel over to the new API and stuff like that (being
> done ahead of the API freeze so that the coder gets extra CVS commits or
> something).

Yeah, that's why I was doing it.

> This strikes me as slightly backwards. Shouldn't the main branch be what
> will become Gnome 2.0 and we branch off the 1.4.x releases? Now that the
> freeze is coming (hmm ... sounds like something out of a Batman movie),
> can we make the changes required to fix this now before things become
> too hard?

George and I settled upon branching precisely because this was before
the API freeze and we thought people might want to work on gnome-core in
the interim (actually, hardly anyone did, but whatever). Very little of
the work put into it (actually, there's still a bunch of really messy
stuff I need to clean up and commit) will need to be redone as I was
very intentionally avoiding porting to pieces of the API that were
unstable as in "actually changing". (read: I basically did a simple
GNOME2 compatible config system and moved a bunch of stuff over to
GTK2...and have some preliminary work on removing gnorba and replacing
it with OAF/bonobo-base/whatever-its-called)

I suspect George will move GNOME2 stuff into HEAD sooner or later. Is he
back from cavorting around the glode yet? ;-)

thank-you-very-much,

-Seth