Re: killing more lists

Hi,

On Wed, 2001-12-12 at 13:32, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > A gcl + gnome-libs-devel + gnome-vfs-list + gconf-list + gtk-list
> > consolidation would fit in well I think.
>
> Urgh! I think this would be an error. There are often discussions on
> gnome-components-list that are of no interest at all to
> gnome-libs-devel, etc.

With gnome2 I think these are going to be more strongly tied.  Also,
gnome-libs-devel gets almost no exclusive traffic.

> Also, by merging all those lists, you make it much harder for people
> like myself to filter on the list title and then prioritise what we read
> when. A lot of the lists you mention can be very high volume at times
> and I don't want to have to wade through all of them just to find out
> what the hot topic in gnome-libs-devel is today, for example.

This was my original reaction to the Nautilus/Desktop-Devel.  And as far
as I can tell, nautilus-list gets on average about 2-times the ammount
of traffic that gnome-components-list does.

Also, most of these lists are high-traffic because of cross-posting.

The exception is gtk-list, which I think *should* stay separate, due
simply to the ammount of gtk-only applications (sorry for the crack
smoking).

> Rationalisation is good, but the above proposal is only one step away
> from just merging everything into gnome-list, imo. Group related things
> together, for sure, but keep different categories apart, also, to help
> people focus on their specific areas of interest.

I don't think these are different categories.  All gnome2 apps depend on
bonobo/gnome-libs/gnome-vfs/gconf working in harmony.  This sounds like
a strong relation to me.

The important categorization between core desktop applications and the
library environment upon which they depend is still maintained.

-Alex

--
 Think about it man!  Rock singers are only rockin you half the time...
 the other time they're... they're breathing... in!  But not anymore

			-- Tenacious D