Re: killing more lists

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 06:43:26PM -0500, Alex Graveley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2001-12-11 at 17:42, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > What if we merge nautilus-list and gnome-2-0-list into
> > desktop-devel-list?
>
> I think we should also merge all the core library discussion into a
> single library list.
>
> A gcl + gnome-libs-devel + gnome-vfs-list + gconf-list + gtk-list
> consolidation would fit in well I think.

Urgh! I think this would be an error. There are often discussions on
gnome-components-list that are of no interest at all to
gnome-libs-devel, etc.

Also, by merging all those lists, you make it much harder for people
like myself to filter on the list title and then prioritise what we read
when. A lot of the lists you mention can be very high volume at times
and I don't want to have to wade through all of them just to find out
what the hot topic in gnome-libs-devel is today, for example.

Rationalisation is good, but the above proposal is only one step away
from just merging everything into gnome-list, imo. Group related things
together, for sure, but keep different categories apart, also, to help
people focus on their specific areas of interest.

Malcolm

--
Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener...