Re: BonoboPreview initiative - png in a control

Jody Goldberg wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 01:08:04PM +0000, Bill Haneman wrote:
> >
> > Well, not really.  File names often are either non-unique or fail to
> > provide useful identifying info about content.  Actually I think
> > string-tagging of files might be even more useful than thumbnails, for
> > all users.
>
> Generating a thumbnail automatically seems easy.
> Generating meaningful 'string-tagging' is murkier.
>
> What sorts of info would you like to see there ?

Well, things like document title (rather than just filename), maybe
another descriptive string.  In some cases you can imagine easily how
such a string can be extracted from the document, in other cases it's
less obvious.  But for any given document type there's probably a
reasonable heuristic, it would be up to the application to create it.
For some kinds of documents (like spreadsheets) it's less obvious to
_me_ what a decent png thumbnail would look like...

If the document has no title at all, such as just a text editor doc, we
could borrow a page from Nautilus and just grab the first n characters
or first sentence...

-Bill