Re: Applets-a-go-go!

Some thoughts:

<quote who="Seth Nickell">

> 	* amusements (fish, fifteen, geyes, gol, odometer)

No debate out of caution. Religious issues. ;)

> 	* multimedia (cd player, mixer, sound monitor)

These are good. (Snipped xmms from original mail.)

> 	* utility (deskguide, printer, tasklist, charpick, gweather,
> 		   mini-commander, screenshooter, whereami, gdict)

- There's a better mini-commander thingy out there that uses more
  GNOME-2-ish stuff. I think it's a Jimbob creation.

- Wasn't the panel getting a printscreen-save-to-jpeg feature to replace
  screenshooter? (Tom said he was going to port it regardless.) It would be
  great to include this in GNOME 2.0.

- GDict could just be a utility, as other people are offering better
  menu-based selection-using launchers.

> 	* network (stock ticker, clockmail)
> 	* clock"

> - I think we should use the mailcheck applet instead of clockmail.
>
> - We need a battery charge monitor (pretty important for laptops)
>
> - I would also add modem-lights to the list of applets we should
> include. It would even better to have things like modemlights (and
> mailcheck and battery charge) in the status dock, but having it as an
> applet is better than nothing.
>
> - It would also be reasonable to add a system monitor applet to the
> list. I know a lot of people who have these on their panel. I'm not sure
> exactly why, but I don't think its bad to have it. It would be better if
> we didn't have 6 of them though, like in GNOME 1.4.

Agree with all of this.

- Jeff

--
     "World domination is a community responsibility." - Michael Hall,
                                LinuxPlanet