Re: libglade-1.99.1

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> On 24 Aug 2001, jacob berkman wrote:
> > On Fri, 2001-08-24 at 08:28, James Henstridge wrote:
> > >   - Port over Michael's bonobo support.  Support for bonobo (and in the
> > >     future, gnomeui) is loaded dynamically, so you don't need to use a
> > >     different init function.  If libbonoboui is not installed, the module
> > >     won't be built.
> >
> > it would be nice if it either required bonobo or the bonobo module was
> > in bonobo.
> >
> > otherwise, apps can't know if there's bonobo support in libglade,
> > thereby making said support unusable.
>
> 	While libglade clearly has value outside the GNOME platform - I
> think it would be by far the best if the default build was the GNOME
> build, and that the default GNOME build relied on all the funky
> technologies we have.
>
> 	This will stop all the whacked out package builders in various
> distros from getting it wrong - and yet still allow people to have gtk
> only builds.
>
> 	How does that sound James ?

The base libglade library remains the same whether gnome stuff is
installed or not.  Things like bonobo control and gnomeui support are
built as additional libraries, as in the stable branch (although now they
are dynamically loaded, rather than having to directly link with them).

Yes, this does mean that if you build things in the wrong order, not all
the modules will be built.  I suppose I could add a
--enable-dieing-when-gnome-not-found flag to make sure certain libraries
get enabled.

Note that all headers required to write addon modules are installed by
libglade, so it is entirely possible for other libraries to install
libglade support for themselves.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au