Re: GNOME CVS: libgnome martin

On 12 Aug 2001 23:01:54 -0700, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > simple and skeletal sound API similar to that in GNOME 1. I'm talking
> > about gnome_sound_play_file(const char *filename) simple. This would
> > be adequate for the "bing-bong" sounds that we'd like to have and keeps
> > our options open for a real sound solution down the road. This very
> > simple API could be kept around in the future and adapted to whatever
> > more snazzy system in the future.
>
> I agree with Joe, we're going to want a "play_file (filename)" sort of
> API whatever system we choose to use. As long as its that simple, I
> don't see the problem of making one now and hiding the details of the
> implementation. This just doesn't seem that hard.
>
> I use swoosh sounds for my panel, and sounds for a couple other events,
> and even though it wouldn't be the end of the world if they stopped
> happening...well darnit, I like 'em.

And if Tim has a wrapper for various sound servers/drivers then everyone
is happy. The people who are content with ESD can keep using it, the
people who want to have GNOME and KDE use the same sound server can use
aRtS, and the people who's sound cards/drivers can have sounds playing
concurrently can do without any server at all. EVERYONE IS HAPPY :)
(See, happy faces on everyone).

iain :)