Re: GNOME CVS: libgnome martin

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 08:13:41PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> I don't see why we have to "bless" something before we are ready; apps
> that want sound now can pick the esound lib or CSL or as they like,
> and then once we see a clear de facto standard or really do our
> homework, we can "bless" one in GNOME 2.0.1 or 2.2 or whatever is
> appropriate at the time.

Well, we HAVE already blessed esd.

Anyway I think removing this API is utterly stupid, IMO.  I don't care at all
for adding sound support to the panel directly.  I think the old way of being
able to set sounds in gnomecc was nice, which we will lose completely,
meaning people will actually LOSE functionality with gnome2.

For example if I add a "swoosh" sound for the panel sliding, then I have to
add configuration for it somewhere, which I probably won't since I will be
too lazy.  Also, there will be no place to turn off sound for these kinds of
things completely for the entire desktop.  I find this utterly annoying.

Why exactly is the gnome sound and triggers code so bad that it can't even be
there for now????

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion.